Art Classes in Montreal
Drawing from Life
- Learn the five basic skills of drawing
- Our blend of traditional and modern teaching styles helps everyone learn to draw realistically
- Draw in a warm and cosy atmosphere
- Our innovative teaching methods are recognized by the English Montreal School Board where we've trained dozens of art teachers
Drawing the Human Form
- Become comfortable, confident and competent drawing live models
- Truly understand the human body in three dimensions so you can bring out the form no matter what the model's position or how foreshortened the pose.
- Learn some tips and tricks for drawing a more convincing and life-like silhouette that even many professionals don't know!
- Gain a powerful method to sketch anything with speed and accuracy
- Learn to construct your drawings and draw-through just like the top artists in the entertainment industry as well as in commercial and fine art
- Develop a strong foundation for drawing from life and design from imagination
- Learn five essential techniques for constructing your drawings
- Understand how to represent movement
- Overcome your perceptual limitations and develop a trained eye
- Understand the three most common mistakes artists make when trying to draw moving bodies and objects and learn to avoid them
Urban Sketching in Perspective
- Become proficient in one of the most important skills in visual arts: drawing in perspective!
- Understand the 5 most common mistakes which make your drawings look less realistic and learn how to avoid them
- Acquire a step-by-step method for analyzing any urban scene or constructing your own realistic and well-rendered objects and environments
Constructive Figure Drawing
- Gain expertise in representing the human figure as a combination of simple forms so you represent the human body from imagination with proper proportion, volume and depth.
- Become proficient in visualizing the head as a series of planes so you can accurately construct and render the human head from imagination
- Learn how light describes form and creates volume so you can apply correct shading to any figure to make it appear 3-dimensional.
- Become proficient in breaking down your subject into simple forms and defining gestures so you can depict the illusion of movement in your drawings
- Learn how the flexibility, shape and configuration of the axial and appendicular skeleton groups affects the balance and range of movements so you can create dynamic, well defined and lifelike drawings
- Understand how structure and form work together to create dynamic balance so you can build anatomically correct and detailed figures from gesture
Drawing The Head and Features
- Learn to draw believable heads with a convincing sense of form and three-dimensionality
- Understand how to draw facial features accurately and to adjust for individual differences so you can capture someone's unique likeness
- Gain proficiency drawing facial expressions that communicate emotion, intention and personality
Advanced Figure Drawing
- Learn the most powerful techniques to beautifully depict male and female figures
- Understand how the most important joints of the human body allow our characteristic movements so that you can construct authentic and lifelike figures in motion
- Gain expertise in representing the major muscle groups in a variety of poses so you can convincingly depict both male and female forms
Foundations of Painting
- Learn a basic, step-by-step method for direct painting that's so fast and efficient that teachers from other schools come to take this class!
- Get comfortable mixing colours, blending tones, and working in oil
- Understand how to use tonality, intensity, and colour temperature to create form, depth, strong compositions, contrasts, and harmonies
Expressive Painting in Watercolour
- Learn a simple, fun, fast and forgiving method for watercolour painting that you can use with live models, photographic reference or plein-air landscape/architectural work.
- Understand how to prepare your painting so you can work quickly, spontaneously and freely, taking advantage of happy accidents, expressing mood and atmosphere while preserving realism and accuracy.
Intro to Digital Painting
- Strengthen your art fundamentals and become proficient with using your tablet so you can create competent digital sketches
- Gain proficiency in the most essential Photoshop tools and adjustments that concept artists use everyday
- Gain expertise in creating and customizing your own brushes in Photoshop to improve your workflow, explore inspiring shapes and create desired effects
Digital Sketching for Production
- Gain mastery in the fundamentals so you can create stunningly realistic digital illustration
- Learn how to draw and render effectively and efficiently using Photoshop
- Understand how to leverage your increased knowledge of fundamentals so you can speed up your workflow while creating more credible concept art
Intro to Concept Art
- Become proficient in a powerful method of visual communication so you can convey your ideas through your concepts in a compelling manner
- Gain proficiency in shape design and language so you can easily create multiple concepts with differing personalities
- Acquire expertise in all the steps in the concept art process so you can create visually stunning concept art pieces
Fantasy Environment Sketching
- Gain constructive sketching techniques, essential for all concept artists, so you can quickly create fantasy environments from imagination.
- Become proficient in the skills that will help you highlight the best aspects of your sketches and create a high visual appeal.
- Learn how to look for inspiration from unlikely sources and never again encounter artist’s block.
Intro to Character Design
- Learn a powerful step by step method to develop quality character concepts that evoke the desired emotions from the audience
- Gain expertise in shape language so you can efficiently communicate your character’s personality
- Become proficient in essential thumbnail creation techniques so you can visualize multiple variations of your characters and arrive at the best possible version
- Become proficient posing and painting your characters and giving them a feeling of weight and volume.
- Understand the five most common mistakes which make your character paintings look unprofessional and learn to avoid them
- Learn the best methods for rendering skin, hair and clothing.
Prop and Vehicle Design
- Learn a cutting edge design process from a master of entertainment, prop and vehicle design
- Acquire a powerful design language and understand the five basic elements that make a design good or bad
- Become proficient in advanced rendering techniques so you can create jaw-dropping concept art
Intro to Environment Design (French)
- Learn to design environments that drive the storyline and enhance the overall audience experience
- Avoid the common design pitfalls that derail the concept art process and disrupt your progress
- Acquire methods to efficiently use lighting, mood and navigational techniques to elevate your design and amplify the viewer’s experience.
Composition, Lighting and Illustration
- Become proficient in the essential principles of composition so you can create realistic and visually compelling illustrations
- Acquire the skills to quickly create a variety of unique and interesting thumbnail sketches so you have strong base for your final illustration.
- Learn how to effectively choose the optimal light source so you can create the desired mood and atmosphere for your illustrations
Introduction to Cartooning
- Learn the different types of cartooning and how you can use them to powerfully express your ideas
- Study with a 26-year industry veteran of the cartooning, comics and animation industries
- Learn the most essential techniques that are used to create visually appealing cartoons