Sketching for Concept Art
A 10 week course where you improve your ideation and sketching process and learn to effectively bring your ideas to life
Teacher Artwork by Guido Kuip
Sketching for Concept Art
Do you possess basic sketching skills but have trouble generating new ideas or quickly sketching out your concepts? Do you wish to improve your sketching and ideation process and gain the tools to effectively bring your ideas to life? Top concept artists are highly proficient at exploring and fleshing out their concepts through sketching without losing anything in translation.
In this 10 week course taught by a senior concept artist, you will learn to deconstruct the world through sketching and effectively brainstorm and find creative solutions for any design problem you may encounter. Through lectures, sketching assignments, demos and continuous one-on-one feedback, you will learn to carefully observe, research, analyze and see the world like a professional concept artist.
You will gain inspiration and the execution skills required to rapidly and efficiently sketch a variety of concepts informed by your observation. You will become proficient in approaching a problem from different perspectives and generating multiple solutions so you can easily overcome any creative block that may hamper your design process. You will gain expertise in quickly sketching different ideas and adapting them to suit specific design requirements so you can deliver quality concept art to a production team. Finally you will learn to edit and focus on the most effective elements of your sketch that best communicate your concept and create maximum visual impact.
By the end of this course, you will have all the skills necessary to create inspired and original sketches from observation and imagination. You will have gained the ability to always find new sources of inspiration so you can enhance your creativity and deliver high quality original concepts.
- Course Type Concept Art and Illustration Classes
- Duration 10 weeks
Level 2Level 2
Second level classes are for students who have a good foundation in the basics of realistic drawing (such as perspective, proportion, shading and colour theory) and already know how to use Photoshop, but need more in-depth knowledge to create professional and complex artwork.
This level is about expanding knowledge, strengthening skills, and transitioning to the world of concept art and illustration.
- Language English
Note: This class will be offered online only
Class Timings: Sundays from 2 PM to 5 PM, Eastern Standard Time (EST or UTC-5h) - This Class is Full Date of first class: January 16th Duration: 10 weeks
If you are unable to attend the class during the times listed above, you will still have access to video recordings of the class lectures and will still receive personalized feedback from your instructor.
To enroll in this course you should have:
- Some intermediate drawing and basic digital painting skills (use of proper perspective, proportions, shading and colour).
- Proficiency in all basic Photoshop tools.
- Ideally completed our Intro to Digital Painting, Drawing the human Form, and Analytical Sketching classes or have equivalent practice/experience.
If you are unsure of your skill level, please contact [email protected] for additional guidance.
Language and age requirements
You should have at least intermediate level English to take this class. Please also note that Syn Studio’s classes are targeted towards adults and students should be 16 years or older to enroll.
You will be needing a sketchbook and pen/pencil for this course. You will also need a laptop or desktop computer with tablet sensitive to pen pressure that has Photoshop installed. Depending on the exercise, coursework may be done traditionally (with sketchbook, pens, markers, etc.) or digitally (with a Wacom tablet, Photoshop, etc.)
Tech Requirements for Attending Syn Studio Online Classes
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 600kbps bandwidth (up/down).
- A Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a single core processor (at least 1 GHZ processing speed) or a smartphone/tablet with equivalent processing capabilities
- Good speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser - IE7+, Safari 5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Operating System - Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, Linux distro based on 3.0 kernel, Android 5.0, iOS 10
Syn Studio Recommendations
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 1.5Mbps bandwidth (up/down). You can also connect to the internet directly using your ethernet cable to improve your experience.
- Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a dual core processor with at least 2 GHZ processing speed and a 4 GB RAM
- High Quality speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser & Operating System - We recommend using the latest version of the browser and operating system for an optimal online classroom experience.
Below is the general outline. The detailed 10 week course outline will be communicated to students at a later date.
*Please note that this outline is from the last time we held this class and we may make some updates and improvements for the coming term.
Part 1: Understand how to build better references, generate more new ideas and maximize your creative output.
Become proficient in converting your ideas into quick functional sketches for concept design. Gain expertise in adapting these sketches to suit the design requirements of any concept art assignment. Learn how to sketch effectively to generate interesting ideas for Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and other themes.
Part 2: Gain a variety of powerful sketching techniques so you can focus on the elements that best communicate your concept and create maximum impact.
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."