Sketching for Concept Art
A 10 week course where you improve your ideation and sketching process and learn to effectively bring your ideas to life
Teacher Artwork by Chase Toole
Sketching for Concept Art
Do you possess basic sketching skills but have trouble generating new ideas or quickly sketching out your concepts? Do you wish to improve your sketching and ideation process and gain the tools to effectively bring your ideas to life? Top concept artists are highly proficient at exploring and fleshing out their concepts through sketching without losing anything in translation.
In this 10 week course taught by a senior concept artist, you will learn to deconstruct the world through sketching and effectively brainstorm and find creative solutions for any design problem you may encounter. Through lectures, sketching assignments, demos and continuous one-on-one feedback, you will learn to carefully observe, research, analyze and see the world like a professional concept artist.
You will gain inspiration and the execution skills required to rapidly and efficiently sketch a variety of concepts informed by your observation. You will become proficient in approaching a problem from different perspectives and generating multiple solutions so you can easily overcome any creative block that may hamper your design process. You will gain expertise in quickly sketching different ideas and adapting them to suit specific design requirements so you can deliver quality concept art to a production team. Finally you will learn to edit and focus on the most effective elements of your sketch that best communicate your concept and create maximum visual impact.
By the end of this course, you will have all the skills necessary to create inspired and original sketches from observation and imagination. You will have gained the ability to always find new sources of inspiration so you can enhance your creativity and deliver high quality original concepts. Furthermore, you will also have a sketchbook filled with creative concepts and observational sketches that you can be proud of.
- Course Type Concept Art and Illustration Courses
- Duration 10 weeks
Level 2Level 2
Second level classes are for students who have a good foundation in the basics of realistic drawing (such as perspective, proportion, shading and colour theory) and already know how to use Photoshop, but need more in-depth knowledge to create professional and complex artwork.
This level is about expanding knowledge, strengthening skills, and transitioning to the world of concept art and illustration.
- Language English
Note: This class will be offered online only
Class Timings: Mondays from 6 PM to 9 PM, Eastern Standard Time (EST or UTC-5h)
Date of first class: January 11th
Duration: 10 weeks
If you are unable to attend the class during the times listed above, you will still have access to video recordings of the class lectures and will still receive personalized feedback from your instructor.
You need to have completed our Drawing the Human Form, Urban Sketching in Perspective and Analytical Sketching classes or possess equivalent experience to take this course. Dynamic Drawing is a recommended co-requisite for this course
Language requirements: You need at least intermediate level English to take this class.
*Note that the students at Syn Studio are mostly all adults and you should be 16 years or older to take any classes here.
- 1 Fabriano spiral sketchbook, 9”x 12”, 110 g/m2 white pages
- 1 Mixed media or marker sketchbook in a medium or small size
- 1 pack of 4 Faber-Castell Pitt black India ink artist pens (S, F, M, B,)
- 1 black Pilot felt or regular nib pen
- 1 black pen Staedtler B permanent Lumocolor (duo pointes)
- 1 mechanical pencil, graphite pencil or Col-erase
- White gouache or white correction ink
- 1 Warm grey alcohol marker (shade 3)
- 3 colour markers (Student’s preference. Recommended colours are pink, blue, red and yellow.)
Tech Requirements for Attending Syn Studio Online Classes
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 600kbps bandwidth (up/down).
- A Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a single core processor (at least 1 GHZ processing speed) or a smartphone/tablet with equivalent processing capabilities
- Good speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser - IE7+, Safari 5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Operating System - Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, Linux distro based on 3.0 kernel, Android 5.0, iOS 10
Syn Studio Recommendations
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 1.5Mbps bandwidth (up/down). You can also connect to the internet directly using your ethernet cable to improve your experience.
- Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a dual core processor with at least 2 GHZ processing speed and a 4 GB RAM
- High Quality speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser & Operating System - We recommend using the latest version of the browser and operating system for an optimal online classroom experience.
Below is the general outline. The detailed 10 week course outline will be communicated to students at a later date.
Learn to observe, analyze, and explore interesting concepts while sketching from life and imagination. Understand how careful observation and sketching the world around you will help you build better references, generate more new ideas and maximize your creative output.
Become proficient in converting these ideas into quick functional sketches for concept design. Gain expertise in adapting these sketches to suit the design requirements of any concept art assignment. Learn how to sketch effectively to generate interesting ideas for Fantasy, Sci-Fi and other themes.
Gain prowess sketching in real world environments, so you can add bring real world authenticity into your concepts.
Learn to eliminate what’s not useful from from your sketches and focus on the elements that best communicate your concept and create maximum impact.
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."