Intro to Concept Art
An essential 10 week course where you acquire expertise in all the steps required to create visually stunning concept art pieces
Teacher Artwork by Nicolas Gosselin
Intro to Concept Art
Do you want to become a concept artist but aren’t sure where to start? Do you wish to become proficient in the process used by concept artists to create breathtaking environments, magnificent creatures and compelling characters for your favourite games and movies?
In this introductory course, you will practice your fundamentals, learn the basics of design, draw various iterations and become comfortable with all the steps involved in the concept art process - from initial idea to final concept.
Concept artists need to be adept at researching ideas to create their own reference boards during the design process. During this course, you will learn how to effectively use research as a way to gather inspiration while working. You will become proficient in shape design and shape language, enabling you to effectively choose and use the precise shapes that best suit your concept.
You will acquire the skills required to expertly communicate your ideas through sketches and to express the desired mood with your concepts. The concept art process involves several iterations and exploring multiple solutions before settling on the final output. You will gain expertise in creating multiple sketches and variations of your design in addition to learning the importance of achieving an ideal colour balance and value contrast so you can create visually stunning concepts.
By the end of this course, you will have received the tools, techniques and knowledge required to create your own stunning concept art pieces from scratch. You will have a couple of new pieces for your portfolio as well as the ability and know how to create further amazing concept art.
- Course Type Concept Art and Illustration Classes
- Duration 10 weeks
Level 3Level 3
These courses are for people who can already draw and paint realistically and can create complete digital illustrations.
Level 3 classes will help students to give a new edge to their images, properly render their digital work, and bring them closer to a professional level.
- Language English
Note: This class will be offered online only
Class Timings: Sundays from 10:30 AM to 1:30 PM, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT or UTC-4h)
Date of first class: April 11th
Duration: 10 weeks
If you are unable to attend the class during the times listed above, you will still have access to video recordings of the class lectures and will still receive personalized feedback from your instructor.
- Proficiency with all basic Photoshop tools.
- Should have completed the Intro to Digital Painting course or equivalent practice/experience.
- Some intermediate drawing and basic painting skills (use of proper perspective, proportions, shading and colour).
- If you do not have the required skill in drawing and painting, it is suggested that you take our Intro to Digital Painting class and some drawing classes such as Analytical Sketching, Drawing the Human Form and Fundamentals of Perspective.
Language requirements: You need at least intermediate level English to take this class (the teacher will use many visual examples and can help you if you don't understand something).
*Note that the students at Syn Studio are mostly all adults and you should be 16 years or older to take any classes here.
You need to have a laptop with Photoshop installed and a tablet sensitive to pen pressure (such as a Wacom tablet). Or you need a tablet-computer with Photoshop installed that is sensitive to pen pressure (such as the Cintiq Companion).
Tech Requirements for Attending Syn Studio Online Classes
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 600kbps bandwidth (up/down).
- A Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a single core processor (at least 1 GHZ processing speed) or a smartphone/tablet with equivalent processing capabilities
- Good speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser - IE7+, Safari 5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Operating System - Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, Linux distro based on 3.0 kernel, Android 5.0, iOS 10
Syn Studio Recommendations
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 1.5Mbps bandwidth (up/down). You can also connect to the internet directly using your ethernet cable to improve your experience.
- Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a dual core processor with at least 2 GHZ processing speed and a 4 GB RAM
- High Quality speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser & Operating System - We recommend using the latest version of the browser and operating system for an optimal online classroom experience.
*Please note that this outline is from the last time we held this class and we may make some updates and improvements for the coming term.
Below is the general outline. The detailed 10 week course outline will be communicated to students at a later date.
Gain expertise in design fundamentals and learn how to break down an image so you can study the value contrast and achieve the ideal colour balance. Understand the important role that research and reference play in the concept art process. Gain proficiency in effectively using research as way to gather inspiration while drawing.
Become proficient in shape design and language so you can create multiple concepts with different personalities. Learn a powerful method of visual communication so you can effectively convey your ideas to your audience.
Employ the iterative design process and all you’ve learned during the class to complete a final concept art project and portfolio piece you can be proud of!
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."