Intro to Matte Painting
In this 10 week course, you will learn the most essential fundamental techniques and workflows used by top industry artists to create convincing matte paintings
Teacher Artwork by Sergei Sarichev
This class is currently unavailable. However, this class might be back in the future, if there is enough interest. You can express your interest and reserve your spot for a future term by clicking on this button.
Intro to Matte Painting
Are you an aspiring concept artist or illustrator who is proficient in working in Photoshop and curious about Matte Painting? Do you wish to learn essential foundational skills to create realistic environments for film, animation, and games? Matte painting is a set of photo manipulation and texture integration techniques that allow artists to create the illusionary effect of immersive backgrounds to fit any scenario.
In this 10 week course taught by veteran artist Sergei Sarichev, you will learn the most essential techniques and workflows used by top industry artists to create convincing matte paintings.
You will become proficient in reference gathering and assembling a visual reference library that can be used as an inspiration and guide during your matte painting process. You will gain a thorough understanding of the essential design principles and photo manipulation techniques so you can seamlessly create landscapes, cityscapes, and interiors that elevate the scene and enhance the overall story. Through 1-on-1 feedback from your instructor, you will be guided through the process of creating an artistic matte painting entirely in Photoshop. The instructor will also demo some advanced techniques to give you a taste of the workflow professional matte painters use in production.
At the end of this 10-week course, you will have learned the essential tools, techniques, and processes required to create visually appealing matte paintings. You will have also leveled up your skills and built a brand new artistic matte painting portfolio piece that you can be proud of.
- Course Type Inactive Classes
- Duration 10 Weeks
Level 4Level 4
This expert-level is for students who are ready to boost their portfolio and design process to a professional level.
This level is about discovering and diving deeper into new tools (such as 3D), further polishing and rendering work and exploring professional pipelines of the entertainment industry.
- Language English
Note: This class will be offered online only
Class Timings: TBD
Date of first class: TBD
Duration: 10 weeks
If you are unable to attend the class during the times listed above, you will still have access to video recordings of the class lectures and will still receive personalized feedback from your instructor.
- Proficiency with all basic Photoshop tools.
- Should have completed the Digital Painting course or equivalent practice/experience.
- Some intermediate drawing and basic painting skills (use of proper perspective, shading and colour).
- If you do not have the required skill in drawing and painting, it is suggested that you take our Digital Painting class and some drawing classes such as Fundamentals of Perspective, and Intro to Environment Design.
Language requirements: You need at least intermediate level English to take this class (the teacher will use many visual examples and can help you if you don't understand something).
*Note that the students at Syn Studio are mostly all adults and you should be 16 years or older to take any classes here.
You need to have a laptop with Photoshop installed and a tablet sensitive to pen pressure (such as a Wacom tablet). Or you need a tablet-computer with Photoshop installed that is sensitive to pen pressure (such as the Cintiq Companion).
Tech Requirements for Attending Syn Studio Online Classes
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 600kbps bandwidth (up/down).
- A Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a single core processor (at least 1 GHZ processing speed) or a smartphone/tablet with equivalent processing capabilities
- Good speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser - IE7+, Safari 5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Operating System - Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, Linux distro based on 3.0 kernel, Android 5.0, iOS 10
Syn Studio Recommendations
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 1.5Mbps bandwidth (up/down). You can also connect to the internet directly using your ethernet cable to improve your experience.
- Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a dual core processor with at least 2 GHZ processing speed and a 4 GB RAM
- High Quality speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser & Operating System - We recommend using the latest version of the browser and operating system for an optimal online classroom experience.
Below is the general outline. The detailed 10-week course outline will be communicated to students at a later date.
Classes include lectures, live demo, exercises, and 1-on-1 personalized feedback from the instructor.
Learn the basic tools, processes, and techniques used to generate visually appealing matte paintings
Learn advanced painting techniques and apply the process to create an awesome portfolio piece.
Topics taught include:
- Photo integration
- Sky replacement
- Matching values/colours/lighting
- Transformations from day to night scenes
- Research and reference gathering
- Composition and lighting
- Essential masking techniques
- Photo bashing basics
- Photoshop actions, brushes, and shapes
- Creating atmospheric effects
Questions and Assistance
Please consult our FAQ; most of the commonly asked questions are answered in detail there. If you cannot find the answer to your question, please feel free to fill out the form below, or, send an email to [email protected]
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."