Intro to Illustration
A 10-week course where you learn the tips and techniques needed accurate and realistic illustrations that tell a cohesive story
Teacher Artwork by Nino Vecia
Intro to Illustration
Do you possess basic digital painting skills but struggle when it comes to creating accurate and realistic illustrations that tell a cohesive story? Do you wish to learn the tips and techniques needed to create fantastic illustrations that stand out from the crowd?
In this 10 week course, you will learn the A to Z of creating successful illustrations through a series of demonstrations, exercises and guided illustration projects. You will become proficient in scouring the depth of your imagination for original ideas. You will learn how to best source references and inspiration so you can give proper shape to your ideas and convert them into high-quality illustrations. You will gain a thorough understanding of composition and lighting so you can create memorable illustrations. Through 1-on-1 feedback from your instructor, a top illustrator, you will be guided, step-by-step through the process of creating your artwork. Finally, you will learn some Photoshop tips and tricks to render, polish and finalize your portfolio ready illustration.
At the end of this 10-week course, you will have learned the essential tools, techniques and processes required to create visually appealing illustrations. You will have leveled up your skills and built a brand new inspiring portfolio piece. In addition to this, you will have also learned the secrets to building a strong and relevant portfolio, getting work in the industry, developing productive relationships with your clients and becoming a successful illustrator.
- Course Type Concept Art and Illustration Courses
- Duration 10 Weeks
Level 3Level 3
These courses are for people who can already draw and paint realistically and can create complete digital illustrations.
Level 3 classes will help students to give a new edge to their images, properly render their digital work, and bring them closer to a professional level.
- Language English
Note: This class will be offered online only
Class Timings: Tuesdays from 11 AM to 2 PM, Eastern Standard Time (EST or UTC-5h)
Date of first class: January 12th
Duration: 10 weeks
If you are unable to attend the class during the times listed above, you will still have access to video recordings of the class lectures and will still receive personalized feedback from your instructor.
- Proficiency with all basic Photoshop tools.
- Should have completed the Digital Painting course or equivalent practice/experience.
- Some intermediate drawing and basic painting skills (use of proper perspective, proportions, shading and colour).
- If you do not have the required skill in drawing and painting, it is suggested that you take our Intro to Digital Painting or Digital Painting class and some drawing classes such as Analytical Sketching, Drawing the Human Form and Fundamentals of Perspective.
Language requirements: You need at least intermediate level English to take this class.
You also need to have a laptop with Photoshop installed and a tablet sensitive to pen pressure (such as a Wacom tablet). Or you need a tablet-computer with Photoshop installed that is sensitive to pen pressure (such as the Cintiq Companion). And you need to have some basic skills in Photoshop and be comfortable drawing and painting in Photoshop and know how to use layers and the basic tools (all things you can learn quickly with free tutorials online).
Tech Requirements for Attending Syn Studio Online Classes
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 600kbps bandwidth (up/down).
- A Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a single core processor (at least 1 GHZ processing speed) or a smartphone/tablet with equivalent processing capabilities
- Good speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser - IE7+, Safari 5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Operating System - Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, Linux distro based on 3.0 kernel, Android 5.0, iOS 10
Syn Studio Recommendations
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 1.5Mbps bandwidth (up/down). You can also connect to the internet directly using your ethernet cable to improve your experience.
- Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a dual core processor with at least 2 GHZ processing speed and a 4 GB RAM
- High Quality speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser & Operating System - We recommend using the latest version of the browser and operating system for an optimal online classroom experience.
Below is the general outline. The detailed 10-week course outline will be communicated to students at a later date.
Part 1 - How to Create an Illustration from a Client Brief: the Basic Process
You will receive an illustration brief with specific requirements as you would from a real client.
The instructor will show you his methods to interpret the brief, create thumbnails, gather references, receive and incorporate feedback, and take the image to polish in Photoshop.
You will become proficient in these methods as the instructor takes your hand and guides you through this powerful illustration process.
Part 2 - Creating a Polished Illustration for your Portfolio and your Career
You will choose 1 brief from several options given. Following the process you learned in the first part of this course, you will create an impressive illustration piece for your portfolio under the guidance of the instructor.
You will gain mastery of the process and learn how to choose the correct composition, symbolism, pose/placement, setting, lighting and colour palette. This will allow you to tell a story in a single image and create the desired mood, atmosphere and impact on the viewer.
Finally, you will learn the business skills of the trade and how to negotiate and create successful and long-lasting relationships with your clients so you will keep getting great commissions.
Syn Studio offers the highest quality education at the most affordable prices.
This is one of our most popular classes and tends to fill up well before the deadline.
The Early Registration Deadline is Wednesday the 11th of November at 11:59 PM.
You will soon receive an email receipt for your purchase.
Please bring a photo ID for the first day of class.
Your transaction was not completed. Please try again. If the problem persists, please email us at [email protected] or call us at 514-998-7625
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."