Constructive Figure Drawing
A 10-week course where you learn to construct anatomically correct human figure drawings with proper depth and perspective
Constructive Figure Drawing
Do you possess basic life drawing skills but struggle when it comes to constructing lifelike and dynamic drawings of the human form from multiple angles? Do you feel you lack the skills necessary to accurately portray human figures from imagination?
In this constructive figure drawing course, you will learn the essential strategies involved in breaking down the human body, first into simple shapes then into more complex structures so you can build up an anatomically correct drawing with proper depth and perspective.
During this 10-week course, you will learn the skills to create convincing and accurate figure drawings from both reference and imagination. You will first review the block-in technique for simplifying and constructing figures from life so you can rationally measure proportion and compose a solid drawing within the given workspace.
You will then become proficient in representing the major masses of the human body as a combination of measured cubic forms so you can gain a clear understanding of volume and proportions. Subsequently, you will learn how spherical, cubic and various curvilinear forms can be combined to represent the organic shapes of the body and you will engrave them into your visual memory so you can accurately produce figure drawings from imagination. Further, you will gain proficiency in visualizing the head as a set of planes to best understand form and lighting so you can construct and render the human head precisely from imagination. In addition, you will understand how the skeletal and muscular systems interact with the pose to create the surface features of the body that you need to represent in your drawing. Following that, you will learn how light describes form and creates volume as well as essential rendering techniques such as hatching and graining so you can create beautiful finished drawings. Finally, you will combine all that you have learned to construct a full figure and render it exquisitely.
By the end of this class, you will have greatly increased your figure drawing skill and your ability to construct human figures from imagination. In addition to this, you will also have many new stunning figure drawings for your portfolio. Your understanding of anatomical structure and figure construction will have greatly increased giving you the ability to accurately render human figures from reference and imagination. Finally, you will have gained a powerful method and set of techniques for figure construction that will give you an edge even over many professional character designers and illustrators.
- Course Type Traditional Drawing Classes
- Duration 10 weeks
Level 2Level 2
Second level classes are for students who have a good foundation in the basics of realistic drawing (such as perspective, proportion, shading and colour theory) and already know how to use Photoshop, but need more in-depth knowledge to create professional and complex artwork.
This level is about expanding knowledge, strengthening skills, and transitioning to the world of concept art and illustration.
- Language English
Note: This class will be offered online only
Class Timings: Thursdays from 2 PM to 5 PM, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT or UTC-4h)
Date of first class: April 8th
Duration: 10 weeks
If you are unable to attend the class during the times listed above, you will still have access to video recordings of the class lectures and will still receive personalized feedback from your instructor.
Language requirements: You need at least intermediate level English to take this class.
*Note that the students at Syn Studio are mostly all adults and you should be 16 years or older to take any classes here.
- 18x24 inch pad of white drawing paper: Canson, Strathmore, or Fabriano brand. NOT newsprint.
- Notebook or sketchbook for taking notes
- 3 sheets of Canson Mi-Teints paper, 19x25 inches, Steel Grey or Felt Grey colour
- Staedtler Mars Lumograph graphite pencils, 3 of each: 2B, HB. 1 of each: H, 2H, 4H
- Terracotta or Earth red Col-Erase pencil
- Derwent Drawing pencil in Chinese White
- White eraser
- Kneadable eraser: the soft grey kind
- Pencil sharpener
- Clear plastic ruler: 30 cm / 12 inches or longer,
- 3 or 4 clips to hold paper onto a drawing board
- Masking tape
- 1 x drawing board, 19-26 inches wide
* - List subject to change, the official material list will be sent before the beginning of the term.
Tech Requirements for Attending Syn Studio Online Classes
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 600kbps bandwidth (up/down).
- A Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a single core processor (at least 1 GHZ processing speed) or a smartphone/tablet with equivalent processing capabilities
- Good speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser - IE7+, Safari 5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Operating System - Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, Linux distro based on 3.0 kernel, Android 5.0, iOS 10
Syn Studio Recommendations
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 1.5Mbps bandwidth (up/down). You can also connect to the internet directly using your ethernet cable to improve your experience.
- Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a dual core processor with at least 2 GHZ processing speed and a 4 GB RAM
- High Quality speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser & Operating System - We recommend using the latest version of the browser and operating system for an optimal online classroom experience.
Learn advanced techniques for constructing your drawings from the inside out by gaining a deep understanding of the skeleton and muscular system and their relationship to the visible surface of the human body.
*Please note that this outline is from the last time we held this class and we may make some updates and improvements for the coming term.
Weeks 1 and 2
Gain proficiency in the block-in technique through a series of simple exercises designed to teach you to effectively simplify and construct figures from life. You will learn to efficiently measure proportion and create a perfectly composed drawing within your workspace.
Weeks 3 and 4
Become proficient in representing the major masses of the human body as a combination of measured cubic, spherical and various curvilinear forms so you can represent the human body and its major structures from imagination with proper volume, depth and proportion.
Learn how to visualize the head as a series of planes to best understand form and lighting so you can accurately construct and render the human head from imagination.
Learn how the skeletal and muscular systems interact with the pose to create the surface features of the body that you need to represent in your drawing.
Learn how light describes form and creates volume so you can apply correct shading to any figure that you construct and render it to look 3-dimensional.
Weeks 8, 9 and 10
Become proficient in rendering techniques such as hatching and graining so your finished drawings appear realistic and lifelike. Finally, combine all that you’ve learned to construct a full figure and render it exquisitely.
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."