A 10-week course where you learn advanced rendering and painting methods so your characters appear realistic, professional and industry ready
Teacher Artwork by Zach Cohen
Does your character rendering skill need a boost to get to a professional level? Would you like to learn the most effective painting methods for creating beautiful and realistic concept art and character illustrations?
In this course, you will learn how to pose and paint your characters to create the illusion of weight and 3-dimensionality and to render the face, skin, hair and clothing like a professional.
Through lectures, demonstrations, assignments, personalized feedback and correction, a veteran industry concept artist will guide you through the entire process of creating a beautifully rendered character painting.
You will push your level of realism to the maximum that you can achieve and far beyond what you thought possible.
By the end of this class you will have new portfolio-worthy character illustrations and, what's more, you will have learned how to render your character concept to a production-ready level, like an industry professional.
- Course Type Concept Art and Illustration Courses
- Duration 10 weeks
Level 3Level 3
These courses are for people who can already draw and paint realistically and can create complete digital illustrations.
Level 3 classes will help students to give a new edge to their images, properly render their digital work, and bring them closer to a professional level.
- Language English
Note: This class will be offered online only
Class Timings: Saturdays from 8 PM to 11 PM, Eastern Standard Time (EST or UTC-5h)
Date of first class: January 16th
Duration: 10 weeks
If you are unable to attend the class during the times listed above, you will still have access to video recordings of the class lectures and will still receive personalized feedback from your instructor.
- Proficiency with all basic Photoshop tools.
- Should have completed the Digital Painting course or equivalent practice/experience.
- Some intermediate drawing and basic painting skills (use of proper perspective, proportions, shading and colour).
- If you do not have the necessary skills please consider taking some intermediate level drawing classes such as Analytical Sketching and Drawing the Human Form.
Language requirements: You need at least intermediate level English to take this class
You need to have a laptop with Photoshop installed and a tablet sensitive to pen pressure (such as a Wacom tablet). Or you need a tablet-computer with Photoshop installed that is sensitive to pen pressure (such as the Cintiq Companion).
Tech Requirements for Attending Syn Studio Online Classes
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 600kbps bandwidth (up/down).
- A Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a single core processor (at least 1 GHZ processing speed) or a smartphone/tablet with equivalent processing capabilities
- Good speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser - IE7+, Safari 5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Operating System - Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, Linux distro based on 3.0 kernel, Android 5.0, iOS 10
Syn Studio Recommendations
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 1.5Mbps bandwidth (up/down). You can also connect to the internet directly using your ethernet cable to improve your experience.
- Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a dual core processor with at least 2 GHZ processing speed and a 4 GB RAM
- High Quality speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser & Operating System - We recommend using the latest version of the browser and operating system for an optimal online classroom experience.
During the classes, the instructor will explain and demonstrate each concept and painting technique before you begin an assignment. While working on your assignment, you will receive personalized coaching, critique and correction from the instructor.
*Please note that this outline is from the last time we held this class and we may make some updates and improvements for the coming term.
Rendering the face and head is covered throughout the course, while other topics are covered as follows:
Week 1 - 2 - Develop your ability to pose your characters and to work with shape and volume.
Week 3 - 4 - Understand the subtleties of colour and learn to use them to create more captivating character illustration.
Week 5 - 6 - Learn a powerful step-by-step method for rendering light and shadow. Become proficient in rendering clothing and folds.
Week 7 - 8 - Acquire the best techniques for materials indication, painting believable skin, hair and reflections.
Week 9 - 10 - Bring your rendering to production level under the guidance of the instructor.
Syn Studio offers the highest quality education at the most affordable prices.
This is one of our most popular classes and tends to fill up well before the deadline
The Early Registration Deadline is Wednesday the 11th of November at 11:59 PM.
You will soon receive an email receipt for your purchase.
Please bring a photo ID for the first day of class.
Your transaction was not completed. Please try again. If the problem persists, please email us at [email protected] or call us at 514-998-7625
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."