Drawing the Human Form
A 10-week foundations level course where you learn to draw the human form in correct proportions
Drawing the Human Form
In this course, you will learn a step-by-step method for accurately and beautifully representing the human form.
Through demonstration and one-on-one instruction you will go from a drawing composed of basic shapes to a fully rendered piece of art.
Areas of focus will include the proportions of the human body, points of reference on the body that aid with developing a drawing, drawing a body in motion, and foreshortening.
- Course Type Traditional Drawing Courses
- Duration 10 weeks
Level 1Level 1
Strong fundamentals in traditional drawing, painting and sculpting are the foundations to create amazing artwork.
This level is about solidifying the fundamentals, getting a refresher on the most important art principles, and learning tricks to create realistic drawing and paintings.
- Language English
Note: This class will be offered online only
Class Timings: Mondays from 6 PM to 9 PM Eastern Daylight Time (EDT or UTC -4 h)
Date of first class: July 6th
Duration: 10 weeks
If you are unable to attend the class during the times listed above, you will still have access to video recordings of the class lectures and will still receive personalized feedback from your instructor.
Foundations of Drawing or equivalent experience (having a foundation in the basics of realistic drawing, such as basic perspective, proportion and shading) is required.
Language requirements: You need at least intermediate level English to take this class (the teacher is bilingual and can explain concepts and give feedback in both languages).
- Pencils: 1 HB, 1 B, 1 2B (we recommend Derwent or Staedtler)
- A sharpener of good quality
- Erasers: Kneaded eraser, white eraser, pen shape white eraser
- Sketchbook (11x14 recommended, should be able to remove individual sheets easily)
- Tracing paper 9x12 (very translucent) the recommended brand is Canson - Foundation Series
- 1 white pencil; Faber Castell Polychromos
Tech Requirements for Attending Syn Studio Online Classes
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 600kbps bandwidth (up/down).
- A Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a single core processor (at least 1 GHZ processing speed) or a smartphone/tablet with equivalent processing capabilities
- Good speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser - IE7+, Safari 5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Operating System - Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, Linux distro based on 3.0 kernel, Android 5.0, iOS 10
Syn Studio Recommendations
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 1.5Mbps bandwidth (up/down). You can also connect to the internet directly using your ethernet cable to improve your experience.
- Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a dual core processor with at least 2 GHZ processing speed and a 4 GB RAM
- High Quality speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser & Operating System - We recommend using the latest version of the browser and operating system for an optimal online classroom experience.
Learn to draw spontaneously, energetically and accurately and demonstrate a structured approach to drawing the human figure.
*Please note that this outline is from the last time we held this class and we may make some updates and improvements for the coming term.
Week 1 – Learn all about the basic proportions and methods for constructing the human body.
Week 2 – Create the human form in 3 dimensions and grasp reference points and measurements.
Weeks 3 and 4 - Create a convincing silhouette and learn to draw the leg, arm, torso and head easily.
Weeks 5 and 6 – Continue realistic rendering of parts of the body and learn the basic 3-tone shading system for convincing modelling and cast shadows.
Weeks 7 and 8 – Develop proficiency in drawing the hands and feet from all angles and increase your modelling and rendering skills.
Weeks 9 and 10 – Create finished drawings for your portfolio and present completed work in a professional manner.
Syn Studio offers the highest quality education at the most affordable prices.
This is one of our most popular classes and tends to fill up well before the deadline.
The Registration Deadline is Wednesday the 10th of June at 11:59 PM
You will soon receive an email receipt for your purchase.
Please bring a photo ID for the first day of class.
Your transaction was not completed. Please try again. If the problem persists, please email us at [email protected] or call us at 514-998-7625
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."