“Excellent class! Best teacher in the world! I learned more with Syn Studio than 4 years at university! Thanks Kelly!” […]Read More
EP 20 – Robert Bonchune Part 1 – VFX Artist – Winner of 3 Emmy Awards – Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek: Voyager, Deep Space Nine, Enterprise, Babylon 5…
In this exclusive Syn Studio podcast, we spoke with senior artist and visual effects supervisor Robert Bonchune. Robert has had over 20 years of experience and has been the recipient of numerous awards, including three Emmy Awards. He is known for his work on legendary television series’ like Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek: Enterprise, Star Trek: Voyager, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Lost.
“Kind of like Star Wars, [Star Destroyers] were evil because someone told you they were evil, but… Babylon 5 was like, no. No one had to tell you when the bad guy ships showed up because they were just viscerally evil.”
In This Episode…
Originally from Montreal, Robert headed to Hollywood with just 3 months’ worth of cash to make his name in show business. In this podcast, we hear some of his stories and totally geek out, talking about Sci-fi ship designs, Gerry Anderson shows, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5. We also discuss JJ Abrams’ new Star Trek movies.
So set your phasers on fun! Another episode not to be missed!
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Who is Robert Bonchune? [0:15]
- His start at Foundation Imaging [1:30]
- Classic Gerry Anderson TV series’ (Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, Thunderbirds and UFO) and their influences on the blockbusters of today. [2:10]
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: why the series improved in the 4th season. The underside of a production. [14:40]
- The real reason why the design of the D7 Class Klingon ship was reused by the Romulans in the Star Trek Universe [17:45]
- Babylon 5, the “Shadow” ships and the importance of design in a TV series. [24:25]
- Who would win in a space battle: the Enterprise or the Galactica? Robert’s opinion of fan remakes. [26:10]
- How Star Trek by JJ Abrams holds up. Can you overuse lens flare? [28:40]
- Robert’s recommendations to succeed in this industry and the differences between working the 90’s and today. [33:30]
- His current projects: cover illustrations in Star Trek Universe [42:00]
- The race against time to save the Voyager! [45:00]
Links you’ll like…
Concept Art Masterclass
Television and Film
This interview is part of a series of exclusive Concept Art, Illustration, VFX, 3D and Comics Podcasts created by Syn Studio. If you enjoyed this podcast please share it with your friends. And please sign up below for our newsletter to keep informed about all of our great podcasts, interviews, tutorials, articles, videos and other material created for you: the artist.