Intro to Visual Development
An essential 10-week course where you learn the skills for effective visual communication and develop visually stunning designs for production
Teacher Artwork by Boris Andreev
Intro to Visual Development
Do you wish to become a visual development artist but don’t know where to start? Do you dream of developing eye-catching visuals for film, games, animation, and tv that immediately strike a chord with the audience? Top visual development artists possess a mastery of the fundamental principles of design and shape language that enable them to design myriad imaginary worlds with characters, creatures, props, and environments that engage the viewers and provide them with a truly compelling visual experience.
In this 10 week course, taught by senior visual development artist, concept designer, and art director Boris Andreev, you will strengthen your design fundamentals and learn the essential skills and techniques for effective visual communication so you can launch and successfully advance your career as a visual development artist.
A visual development artist ideates and designs creative and stylized worlds, and sets the appropriate mood, tone and color palette so they drive the storyline and create a visceral experience for the viewer. Shape design is one of the most essential foundation skills of the visual development process. Through a series of lectures, assignments and case studies, you will become proficient in effectively using and manipulating primary shapes so you can design visual elements with unique identities and personalities that adhere to the design requirements. Guided by a veteran visual development artist, you will work towards creating industry-ready designs while learning essential techniques for ideation, stylization, lighting, colouring, and polishing your artwork. Finally, you will learn how to apply finishing touches to your designs and get valuable feedback from the instructor so you can build a fantastic visual development portfolio that will make heads turn and help you achieve your artistic dreams.
By the end of this course, you will have learned all the skills, tools, and techniques required to generate lively, vivid, and eye-catching designs. This course will greatly improve your design thinking process which will enable you to work confidently and efficiently across all the steps of the visual design process - from ideation to finish.
- Course Type Concept Art and Illustration Courses
- Duration 10 weeks
Level 3Level 3
These courses are for people who can already draw and paint realistically and can create complete digital illustrations.
Level 3 classes will help students to give a new edge to their images, properly render their digital work, and bring them closer to a professional level.
- Language English
Note: This class will be offered online only
Class Timings: Saturdays from 12 PM to 3 PM, Eastern Standard Time (EST or UTC-5h)
Date of first class: January 16th
Duration: 10 weeks
If you are unable to attend the class during the times listed above, you will still have access to video recordings of the class lectures and will still receive personalized feedback from your instructor.
- Proficiency with all basic Photoshop tools.
- Should have completed the Intro to Digital Painting course or equivalent practice/experience.
- Some intermediate drawing and basic painting skills (use of proper perspective, proportions, shading and colour).
- If you do not have the required skill in drawing and painting, it is suggested that you take our Intro to Digital Painting class and some drawing classes such as Analytical Sketching, Drawing the Human Form and Fundamentals of Perspective.
Language requirements: You need at least intermediate level English to take this class (the teacher will use many visual examples and there will usually be students in the class who speak French and can help you if you don't understand something)
You need to have a laptop with Photoshop installed and a tablet sensitive to pen pressure (such as a Wacom tablet). Or you need a tablet-computer with Photoshop installed that is sensitive to pen pressure (such as the Cintiq Companion).
Tech Requirements for Attending Syn Studio Online Classes
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 600kbps bandwidth (up/down).
- A Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a single core processor (at least 1 GHZ processing speed) or a smartphone/tablet with equivalent processing capabilities
- Good speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser - IE7+, Safari 5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Operating System - Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, Linux distro based on 3.0 kernel, Android 5.0, iOS 10
Syn Studio Recommendations
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 1.5Mbps bandwidth (up/down). You can also connect to the internet directly using your ethernet cable to improve your experience.
- Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a dual core processor with at least 2 GHZ processing speed and a 4 GB RAM
- High Quality speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser & Operating System - We recommend using the latest version of the browser and operating system for an optimal online classroom experience.
Below is the general outline. The detailed 10-week course outline will be communicated to students at a later date.
Week 1 - Gain a thorough understanding of the visual development process and learn some basics of stylization so you can generate visually appealing artwork that is a good fit for the production.
Weeks 2 and 3 - Gain proficiency in basic shape language by redrawing famous fictional characters through exploration and stylization/exaggeration of their forms, gestures, and body language. This will allow you to effectively communicate the identity and personality of your characters in a style appropriate to the production.
Week 4 - Gain the skills required to sketch a variety of props for your character and project. Through shape exploration studies and generating a series of stylized sketches you will have the bases for creating effective props that fit with the universe and art direction while driving the story forward.
Weeks 5 and 6 - Learn to create environments and set designs that possess distinct personality, emphasize the full potential of the characters, support the storyline and enhance the overall viewer experience.
Weeks 7 and 8 - Learn to effectively add colour and properly control lighting and level of detail in your designs so you can generate artwork that creates the desired atmosphere and emotional impact while directing the viewer’s attention to the storytelling elements of your piece.
Weeks 9 and 10 - Gain valuable feedback from the instructor on all the designs generated over the previous weeks as you polish them and take them to a finished level. Acquire valuable tips on how to finalize a top visual development portfolio and present it in a professional manner so you can stand out from the crowd.
Syn Studio offers the highest quality education at the most affordable prices.
This class is being offered for the first time and is expected to fill up fast!
The Early Registration Deadline is Wednesday the 11th of November at 11:59 PM.
You will soon receive an email receipt for your purchase.
Please bring a photo ID for the first day of class.
Your transaction was not completed. Please try again. If the problem persists, please email us at [email protected] or call us at 514-998-7625
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."