“Excellent class! Best teacher in the world! I learned more with Syn Studio than 4 years at university! Thanks Kelly!” […]Read More
EP 16 – Karla Ortiz – Highly-acclaimed Fantasy Illustrator – Marvel Studios, ILM, Fantasy Flight, Bali Illustration Workshop, Wizards of the Coast, NCSoft, Kabam…
In this Syn Studio podcast Anthony chats with artist Karla Ortiz in San Francisco where she currently resides. Karla has worked as an artist-designer and she is currently freelancing as an independent artist for the movie, video game and illustration fields.
We invite you to listen and discover this incredible and optimistic artist. You will find out what tips and tricks she is using to improve in her art, how to accept the feedback in a constructive way and above all how to continue the drive to create again and carry on.
“Be a really good person. The industry rewards people who are kind, who care about the community, who are always there and willing to share…” – Karla Ortiz
During a recent worldwide trip Anthony met with artist Karla Ortiz in San Francisco where she currently resides.
Karla has worked as an artist-designer for Marvel Studios, Fantasy Flight Games, NCsoft, Wizards of the Coast, Tor Books,The Science Fiction Book Club, ILM and she is currently freelancing as an independent artist for the movie, video game and illustration fields. Under the supervision of Carl Dobsky she studied at The Safehouse Atelier (unfortunately the Safehouse Atelier is now closed).
Karla’s work combines pictorial subtlety with breathtaking technical ability, making us think that you’re sure to hear more of this exciting artist in the years to come.
So please joins us for this Syn Studio Podcast and learn more about this amazing artist!
In This Episode…
Here are some highlights from this podcast:
- What is Karla’s typical day like? [1:30]
- How Karla discovered her passion for illustration at the age of 10 [7:58]
- The painters who inspired Karla in her career [11:05]
- Favorite video games and how they inspire her work [13:35]
- Hints for aspiring artists who want a similar career [30:19]
- The key to learning and progressing [32:21]
- Working with a client and how to take criticism constructively [36:22]
- The importance of personal projects [37:40]
- What education has Karla received to achieve this level? The importance of being surrounded by professionals [40:54]
- Overcoming insecurity when pursuing an artistic career [45:10]
- Secret projects, workshops, exhibitions and other news [48:00]
- How the industry of Fine Arts and Artistic Design is changing [51:08]
- The future of humanity (according to Karla) or how to keep hope for a better future! [57:10]
Links you’ll like…
Online Portfolio – Karla Ortiz
Lego (Phil Lord, Christopher Miller)
Ip Man 1 (Wilson Yip)
IP Man 2 (Wilson Yip)
The Aviator (Martin Scorsese)
Tai-Chi Master (Yuen Woo Ping)
Other Related Links
This interview is part of a series of exclusive Concept Art, Illustration, VFX, 3D and Comics Podcasts created by Syn Studio. If you enjoyed this podcast please share it with your friends. And please sign up below for our newsletter to keep informed about all of our great podcasts, interviews, tutorials, articles, videos and other material created for you: the artist.