“Excellent class! Best teacher in the world! I learned more with Syn Studio than 4 years at university! Thanks Kelly!” […]Read More
EP 19 – Henry Fong – Concept Designer for film – Worked on X-Men: Days of Future Past, Pacific Rim, The Mummy 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Immortals…
In this episode, Anthony speaks with concept designer Henry Fong in Toronto. Henry is best known for his work on Hollywood movies like Immortals, X-Men: Days of Future Past and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. He also worked on productions shot in Hong Kong such as The White Vengeance on which he was also the artistic director.
In this Syn Studio podcast you will learn how Henry began his career in the film industry. Henry emphasizes the importance of networking and staying open minded while building a career in the industry. He also explains the differences between North American projects and those filmed in Hong Kong and how these differences have influenced his work.
“What is keeping me alive in this industry is passion. You need to ask yourself why do you want to get into this business? It’s fun but it’s also a lot of hard work!”
In This Episode…
Recently, Anthony caught up with concept designer Henry Fong at a cafe in Toronto.
Henry is a concept artist in the film industry and has worked on projects such as X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Walk, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Pacific Rim. He is currently working on Suicide Squad and X-Men Apocalypse.
Discover this amazing artist who designs props and environments for some of the biggest movies. Another podcast not to be missed!
Here are some highlights from this podcast:
- How he started his career in concept art [0:32]
- How to become a good designer [6:30]
- A method that Henry uses to create images [8:50]
- Which were the most inspiring movies he has worked on? [11:20]
- The differences between Canadian and Hong Kong productions [12:50]
- The need to be passionate about what we do [15:20]
- His experience on the last film by Robert Zemeckis: The Walk [18:30]
- The differences between the pre-production and production phases [20:40]
- What was his favourite Hong Kong produced film? [24:00]
- Henry’s favourite projects [27:00]
- Some tips for getting a job in the film industry [34:20]
- How his meeting with Sean Samuels advanced his career [35:40]
- The importance of contacts within the industry [40 15]
- His advice for students [41:20]
- Some experiences he had working in the industry [47:30]
- How Henry spends his free time [50:00]
Links you’ll like…
This interview is part of a series of exclusive Concept Art, Illustration, VFX, 3D and Comics Podcasts created by Syn Studio. If you enjoyed this podcast please share it with your friends. And please sign up below for our newsletter to keep informed about all of our great podcasts, interviews, tutorials, articles, videos and other material created for you: the artist.