Foundations of Drawing
A 10-week foundations level drawing course designed to help you learn the basics of drawing from reference, still life and live models
Foundations of Drawing
Learn the fundamentals of drawing: light, shade, line and form, perspective and proportion. Subjects include still life, nature, portraits and nudes using live models.
This class is perfect for beginners and is a pre-requisite for all other classes. Everyone can learn to draw!
Our curriculum blends classical drawing instruction (techniques of the masters) with modern teaching methods (e.g.: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain) so that beginners can see rapid improvement in their skills and creativity while developing a unique style.
- Course Type Traditional Drawing Courses
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill Level Beginner
- Language English and French
Section A) starts Tuesday,October 1st and is once a week from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM - English - Eric Manella
Section B) starts Thursday, October 3rd and is once a week from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM - English - Andre Pijet
Section C) starts Thursday, October 3rd and is once a week from 8 PM to 10 PM - French - Andre Pijet
Section D) starts Saturday, October 5th and is once a week from 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM - English - Donna Shvil
Section E) starts Sunday, October 6th and is once a week from 11 AM to 1 PM - English - Donna Shvil
Section F) starts Sunday, October 6th and is once a week from 2 PM to 4 PM - English - Donna Shvil
Duration : 10 weeks
This class is for beginners and there are no prerequisites.
Drawing From Life Section A - Eric Mannella
- 18x24 pad of white drawing paper: Strathmore or Canson brand (no newsprint)
- Staedtler Mars Lumograph graphite pencils: 2 of each: 2B, HB, 1 of each: H, 2H
- Gum eraser
- Pencil sharpener
Drawing from Life Sections B and C - Andre Pijet
List of required materials:
- pencils: 1 H4, 1 HB, 1B4
- 1 sketchbook - BOND white & mat paper (18 x 24 inches) (no glossy finish and no newsprint paper)
- White and black pencil KOH-I-NOOR (recommended), ou prismacolor (optional)
- Kneadable special cleaning rubber
- White eraser (Stadler or other company)
- One small box of charcoal sticks (or 3 to 4 sticks of charcoal)
Optional but used in most classes:
- White Bristol Vellum paper pad
- Kraft paper 3 Pages
Drawing from Life Sections D, E and F - Donna Shvil
- Pencils: 1 HB, 1 B, 1 2B (we recommend Derwent or Staedtler)
- A sharpener of good quality
- Erasers: Kneaded eraser, white eraser, pen shape white eraser
- Sketchbook, white pages (11x14 recommended, should be able to remove individual sheets easily)
- Tracing paper 9x12 (very translucent) the recommended brand is Canson - Foundation Series
- 1 white pencil; Faber Castel Polychromos
* - List subject to change, the official material list will be sent before the beginning of the term.
Learn all about drawing and its theory, practice drawing with live models and receive professional one-on-one feedback.
Week 1 – Learn about essential materials and the basic skills of drawing.
Week 2 – Understand form and negative space and learn all about the proportions of the face.
Week 3 - Important perspective exercises and the proportions of the human body.
Week 4 - Understand light and shadow with exercises on various shading techniques.
Week 5 and 6 – Learn essential principles of composition: Figure and/or portrait drawing exercise, and sketching and gesture drawing with a live model.
Week 7 - Perceive form, negative space and shadow shapes easily with a live model.
Week 8 and 9 - Analyze angles, proportions and perspective and practice with live models.
Week 10 - Unite all the basic skills of drawing to create a harmonious finished drawing with wholeness and personality.
Eric Mannella is an award winning fine artist and the co-founder of Atelier de Brésoles.
André Pijet is an art director, painter, author, illustrator, caricaturist and graphic artist who has worked, taught and exhibited throughout Canada and Europe for over thirty years.
Donna Shvil is an accomplished figurative artist with over 25 years of experience, specializing in figure studies and realistic-style painting.
Syn Studio offers the highest quality education at the most affordable prices.
This is our most popular class and many sections fill up well before the deadline.
The Early Registration Deadline is 14th of Aug at 11:59 PM.
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."