Foundations of Drawing
Build a solid foundation in drawing in just 10-weeks. Learn to draw anything, from people, objects and scenes.
Foundations of Drawing
Learn the fundamentals of drawing: light, shade, line and form, perspective and proportion. Learn the basics of human proportions and anatomy through portrait and nude studies.
This class is perfect for beginners and is a pre-requisite for all other classes. Everyone can learn to draw!
Our curriculum blends classical drawing instruction (techniques of the masters) with modern teaching methods (e.g.: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain) so that beginners can see rapid improvement in their skills and creativity while developing a unique style.
- Course Type Traditional Drawing Courses
- Duration 10 weeks
This class is for people who have never taken art courses before, or would like to solidify the techniques they already have.
- Language English
Note: This class will be offered online only
Class Timings: Sundays from 12 PM to 3 PM Eastern Daylight Time (EDT or UTC -4 h)
Date of first class: July 12th
Duration: 10 weeks
If you are unable to attend the class during the times listed above, you will still have access to video recordings of the class lectures and will still receive personalized feedback from your instructor.
This class is for beginners and there are no prerequisites.
Language requirements: You need at least intermediate level English to take this class (the teacher will use many visual examples and can help you if you don't understand something).
- Pencils: 1 HB, 1 B, 1 2B (we recommend Derwent or Staedtler)
- A sharpener of good quality
- Erasers: Kneaded eraser, white eraser, pen shape white eraser
- Sketchbook, white pages (11x14 recommended, should be able to remove individual sheets easily)
- Tracing paper 9x12 (very translucent) the recommended brand is Canson - Foundation Series
- 1 white pencil; Faber Castel Polychromos
Optional but used in most classes:
- White Bristol Vellum paper pad
- Kraft paper 3 Pages
* - List subject to change, the official material list will be sent before the beginning of the term.
Tech Requirements for Attending Syn Studio Online Classes
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 600kbps bandwidth (up/down).
- A Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a single core processor (at least 1 GHZ processing speed) or a smartphone/tablet with equivalent processing capabilities
- Good speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser - IE7+, Safari 5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Operating System - Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, Linux distro based on 3.0 kernel, Android 5.0, iOS 10
Syn Studio Recommendations
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 1.5Mbps bandwidth (up/down). You can also connect to the internet directly using your ethernet cable to improve your experience.
- Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a dual core processor with at least 2 GHZ processing speed and a 4 GB RAM
- High Quality speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser & Operating System - We recommend using the latest version of the browser and operating system for an optimal online classroom experience.
Build a solid foundation in art by learning the theory and techniques required to draw people, objects and scenes while receiving professional feedback from your instructor.
*Please note that this outline is from the last time we held this class and we may make some updates and improvements for the coming term
Week 1 – Learn about essential materials and the basic skills of drawing.
Week 2 – Understand form and negative space and learn all about the proportions of the face.
Week 3 - Important perspective exercises and the proportions of the human body.
Week 4 - Understand light and shadow with exercises on various shading techniques.
Week 5 and 6 – Learn essential principles of composition: Figure and/or portrait drawing exercise, and sketching and gesture drawing.
Week 7 - Perceive form, negative space and shadow shapes.
Week 8 and 9 - Analyze angles, proportions and perspective.
Week 10 - Unite all the basic skills of drawing to create a harmonious finished drawing with wholeness and personality.
Syn Studio offers the highest quality education at the most affordable prices.
This is our most popular class and usually fills up well before the deadline.
The Registration Deadline is Wednesday the 10th of June at 11:59 PM
You will soon receive an email receipt for your purchase.
Please bring a photo ID for the first day of class.
Your transaction was not completed. Please try again. If the problem persists, please email us at [email protected] or call us at 514-998-7625
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."