A 10-week course where you learn an analytical step-by-step method to break down any object or living being into basic shapes and build up a drawing with proper perspective and shading.
Do you ever have trouble drawing objects, plants or animals from all angles? When drawing from imagination onto paper, do you ever lose something in translation? In this course you will learn a step-by-step method to break down any object or living being into basic shapes and build up a drawing with proper perspective and shading so you can literally draw anything, from any angle!
This method of analytical sketching has been passed down for centuries through the great European academies and is the go-to method for entertainment industry concept artists and illustrators. It's one of the most efficient and effective ways to construct your drawings and is an essential visual communication tool for concept artists, illustrators and animators.
By the end of this class, you will have greatly increased your confidence, accuracy and speed in line drawing. You will have many new studies and final drawings in your portfolio and, what's more, you will have the tools to quickly and accurately sketch vehicles, objects, people, animals and plants from life and from your imagination. Your sketchbook will never look the same again!
- Course Type Traditional Drawing Courses
- Duration 10 weeks
Level 1Level 1
Strong fundamentals in traditional drawing, painting and sculpting are the foundations to create amazing artwork.
This level is about solidifying the fundamentals, getting a refresher on the most important art principles, and learning tricks to create realistic drawing and paintings.
- Language English
Note: This class will be offered online only
Section A) starts Monday, July 6th and is once a week from 2 PM to 5 PM Eastern Daylight Time (EDT or UTC -4 h) - English - Andre Pijet
Section B) starts Thursday, July 9th and is once a week from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time (EDT or UTC -4 h) - English - Andre Pijet - this section is full
Duration: 10 weeks
If you are unable to attend the class during the times listed above, you will still have access to video recordings of the class lectures and will still receive personalized feedback from your instructor.
Foundations of Drawing or equivalent experience (having a foundation in the basics of realistic drawing, such as basic perspective, proportion and shading) is required.
Language requirements: You need at least intermediate level English to take this class (Andre Pijet is bilingual and can explain concepts and give feedback in both languages).
- pencils: 1 H4, 1 HB, 1B4
- 1 BOND white & mat paper pad (18 x 24 inches) (no glossy finish and no newsprint paper)
- Tracing paper block (9 x 12 minimum, though bigger is optimal)
- White and black pencil KOH-I-NOOR (recommended), or Prismacolor (optional)
- Kneadable special cleaning eraser
- White eraser (Staedtler or other company)
Optional but used in most classes:
- Kraft paper 3 Pages (18 x 24 inches)
Tech Requirements for Attending Syn Studio Online Classes
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 600kbps bandwidth (up/down).
- A Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a single core processor (at least 1 GHZ processing speed) or a smartphone/tablet with equivalent processing capabilities
- Good speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser - IE7+, Safari 5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Operating System - Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, Linux distro based on 3.0 kernel, Android 5.0, iOS 10
Syn Studio Recommendations
- A strong uninterrupted broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) connection with a minimum 1.5Mbps bandwidth (up/down). You can also connect to the internet directly using your ethernet cable to improve your experience.
- Laptop/Desktop computer equipped with a dual core processor with at least 2 GHZ processing speed and a 4 GB RAM
- High Quality speakers/earphones to listen to the classes
- Browser & Operating System - We recommend using the latest version of the browser and operating system for an optimal online classroom experience.
This course will give you the skills required to accurately sketch any object, plant, animal, person or vehicle by breaking it down into simple geometric forms. You will learn quickly through demonstration, exercises, observational drawing and one-on-one feedback and correction from the instructor. Pencil, pens and markers will be your tools as you develop proficiency and confidence in line drawing before adding tones.
*Please note that this outline is from the last time we held this class and we may make some updates and improvements for the coming term.
Week 1 - Introduction. Learn the best ways to use your materials and develop your basic hand drawing skills through a series of exercises.
Week 2 - Drawing basic shapes and forms. Understand how to represent the basic forms with which all objects are built.
Week 3 - Learn how to capture organic forms & contours.
Week 4 - Develop proficiency drawing geometric forms in perspective. Understand how to represent light and shadow in perspective.
Week 5 - Learn how to efficiently break down complex subjects into basic shapes so you can sketch them quickly and accurately.
Week 6 - Understand how to apply the analytical approach to human anatomy.
Week 7 - Learn to apply your analytical sketching skills to the human figure so you can sketch people with proper form, depth and perspective.
Week 8 - Learn to add tones to your line drawings to bring them to life.
Week 9 -Understand how to use your analytical sketching skills to accurately represent realistic environments
Week 10 - Learn to apply your analytical drawing skills to generate interesting new designs and take your visual creativity to the next level.
Syn Studio offers the highest quality education at the most affordable prices.
This popular class tends to fill up well before the deadline, so register early!
Summer term classes begin on Monday, July 6th. Late registration still available for some classes
You will soon receive an email receipt for your purchase.
Please bring a photo ID for the first day of class.
Your transaction was not completed. Please try again. If the problem persists, please email us at [email protected] or call us at 514-998-7625
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."